Daily News



About Us



Email Us





(Hold your mouse over a picture for its caption.)

Sunday, November 2, 2008

I've been meaning to get to the early voting polls every day, and I realized at the last minute that I barely had enough time to make it down there before they close today.  However, as I was backing out of the driveway, I saw two cars in Ruth's driveway across the street.  This is the house that was foreclosed on and Mom is interested in buying.  I've been in touch with the realtor who has been cleaning it up to sell, and she had assured me she would let me know the minute it was on the market, so seeing these 2 cars and people going into the house was quite interesting.  I went over to talk with them, and it turns out the house has just gone on the market (no sign in the yard yet), and she is a realtor and she and her husband were taking a first look around.  I told her were wanted to make an offer on it today.  She jumped on it and two hours later my mom and the realtor were sitting at my table signing an offer.  (So much for early voting!).  Now we wait and see what Fanny Mae has to say about our offer.  XxXxXx (crossing our fingers)

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A family of 3 sandhill cranes has been hanging out in the field across the street.  It's quite a treat!  Patrick took the camera over after school and took some pictures - actually, 48 pictures, but I picked the best to share.  (Thank God for digital cameras!)

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Oviedo had its Great Day in the Country festival today, and Patrick's coach put on a gymnastics demonstration.  Mark took Alex to his football game, and Mom and Becca joined Patch and me at the festival.  Becca came as my official photographer, and between the two of us, we got some great shots!  I took some video, which I will torture you with.  Scott led all of the athletes through simple exercises which got progressively harder, so you can sort of see the progression with the videos.

Patrick helping Scott set up the mat Patrick and me flipping the mat

Scott introducing the skills All of the athletes

Stretch-warm up time Hand stand-roll downs

Finishing up a round off-back hand spring Getting spotted on his aerial

Clean-up time We had time aftewards to enjoy the festival.  :-)

(click on the pictures)

Hand stand-roll downs cart wheels

Round offs round off and 2 back hand springs


November 9, 2008

Only in Florida can you swim in November.  :-)

Patrick and Justin hanging out by the warm water jets Patch venturing out into the cold waters!

Throughout the week, Mom and Fannie Mae have been negotiating on the house across the street.  Today she heard from her realtor that there are now "multiple offers" on the house, and Fannie Mae wants everyone to submit their final offers.  So much for hopping on it and being first to make an offer.

November 11, 2008

The music teacher has said that anyone in MusiKids who is taking private music lessons can play a solo before the show in December, so Patch has asked his guitar teacher to help him with a Christmas song.  Dean brought over some music for John Lennon's "And So This is Christmas."  We've run into a problem with the solo part, since Patch hasn't learned anything but chords so far, which is typically the background for a song.  But he and I have had a blast tonight playing it together, him on the guitar and me on the piano.

November 14, 2008

Tonight was what may be the last night launch of a space shuttle so everybody gathered outside to see.  Below is a video of the view from our house.  Pretty cool!

Watching history

Mom heard from her realtor today, and she didn't get the house.  :-(  It's really disappointing, but at least the drama of it is finally over.

November 15, 2008

Alex had his last football game for the year today.  Although they didn't make it into the playoffs, they did have a bowl game, which Hagerty won 16-12!  The game had it's own excitement, however.  One of the Hagerty players took a hit and hurt his neck.  It was incredibly scary to watch while the coaches held the boy's helmet to keep his head still, and then to see his mother's reaction as she went to him.  The EMT's strapped him to a back board and took him to the hospital and the game continued.  After the game, the team gathered on the field to receive their trophy and take pictures, and an announcement was made that the boy had checked out okay at the hospital and he's going to be fine.  Thank God this season is over!

Signing the "game" ball Alex is right in the middle with the black skull cap

November 16, 2008

Pop Warner did something new this year, and instead of having an end-of-season party for each team, they had a banquet tonight for everyone, with a formal meal and a ceremony to hand out the trophies to each player and cheerleader.  Ugh - whoever planned this event must NOT be a parent!  These poor kids had to dress up (right there, you know you've got a problem) and eat formal food (whatever happened to hot dogs and french fries?) and sit for FOUR hours while trophies were handed out.  It was torture for the adults, imagine the poor kids!  The highlight was seeing the boy who had been injured at yesterday's game.  He had on a neck brace, but looked great and happy.

November 27, 2008


A few weeks ago, we were discussing Thanksgiving, and none of us were very enthusiastic about it.  Our lives are so hectic, I don't think any of us were looking forward to a big day, so somehow we came up with the idea of camping over the long weekend, so that's what we're doing. 

Mom left yesterday for a cruise with my aunt and cousin.  While I wish her the best trip ever, that left us without a dog sitter.  Becca eagerly offered to watch Boudreaux for us (her family just loves him!), but Grendel is a bit much for her and all of her kids, so we figured she did well last year on our road trip, so Grendel came with us on this one, too.

We did most of our packing yesterday evening, so this morning we did the last minute stuff, and were on the road early.  The drive was uneventful, and we made it to Stone Mountain (near Atlanta) in time for dinner.  I had asked the kids what they wanted to eat for a camping Thanksgiving dinner, and they both said "stew!"  ROFL  Our traditional first-night dinner when we camp is always Dinty Moore canned stew, since it's so quick and easy while we're setting up.  So we had a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner of stew and bread and butter.  Ahhhhhh.

After dinner, we went for a walk around the campground and ran into a group of kids playing football in a field.  It was like someone had lit a rocket behind Alex!  He was on that field in 2 seconds!  Patrick joined in and the kids had a blast getting nice and tired while Mark and I walked Grendel around the field.  :-)

Friday, November 28, 2008

I just love waking up in the woods.  It's so peaceful.  And then the kids wake up.  LOL  We had a great morning exploring, and the kids wanted to go back to the field to see if the other kids were playing football again.  Mark gave them one of the two-way radios and we sent them on their way.  Mark and I were once again enjoying the peace and quiet, and Mark was messing around with the radio.  He noticed a weather button and pushed it, and we heard a rather daunting weather report, predicting 100% rain over the next 24 hours, and 80% for the next day.  That's our entire trip!  The kids and I had researched the area and made plans to go to the Atlanta zoo and the Coca Cola museum, so packing up and going home would bring big disappointments, but we had to do something.  We've certainly camped in the rain before, but knowing that the rain wasn't expected to let up at all, and knowing we'd be packing up soaked equipment, and having advance notice, well, we'd be fools to stay!  So we decided to get a hotel for the night so we could do our two activities, and then head home a day early.  However, there's one big glitch - Grendel.  Patrick was the only one who was really dead set on going to the zoo, so I took him to the zoo while Mark and Alex did some packing up.  The zoo was fabulous!  They have quite a few pandas, and we were able to watch a 2-year-old playing.  It was absolutely precious!

On the way home, I called Becca, and she once again worked computer miracles and found us a hotel close-by that would take dogs.  Woohoo!  We're back in business!  Patch and I hotfooted it back to camp and we all hustled to pack up.  It was amazing - everything was tucked away, and literally as we drove out of our campsite, the rain started.  The report was right - it rained and rained and rained without a break for the rest of the day.  It was especially interesting taking Grendel outside at the hotel in the rain so she could do her business.  She's afraid of her own shadow, so rain, wind and dark hardly created a proper environment for her purposes!

The view of Stone Mountain from our campsite Ahhhhhhh

Our humble abode

Saturday, November 29, 2008

We're sure glad we decided to pack up camp.  It's still raining non-stop!  The last stop on our agenda was the Coca Cola museum.  It was a bit interesting finding a place to park with a trailer in Atlanta, but we found a dirt lot that let us in, for a price, of course.  The museum was pretty neat!  We took our picture holding the Olympic torch (don't ask me what that has to do with Coca Cola - I missed that part), but the highlight was all of the samples.  At the end of the tour, there's a room with rings of soda fountain taps with the Coke flavors for each continent.  It was really strange - I always thought Coke was Coke was Coke.  We each got a commemorative bottle of Coke bottled in that very factory.  It was fun!

And then we hit the road for home.  We got home around 11:00 and fell into our cozy beds.

Olympic athletes?  NOT!